Frequently Asked Questions

Early Intervention


How do I make a referral?

  • You may call, fax or email Karen Huggins at 360-352-1126 (phone), 360-352-0761 (fax) or

Does my doctor have to send a referral?

  • No. Parents can refer their own children, but we may need to get a referral from their doctor at a later date if the child needs an insurance billable service, such as speech, occupational or physical therapy.

Is Early Intervention Income Based?

  • No

Is Early Intervention the same as Birth to Three?

  • Yes

What school district am I in?

  • Karen Huggins can help you find that out when you call for referral.  If you have a child over age of three, you can contact the Transportation Dept. of the districts near you to see which one you’re in OR you can look up your address on


My child is only ______ months/days.  How do you evaluate them?  What can you do for them?

  • We have a team of people who specialize in early childhood development and we use testing tools that are made specifically for infants and toddlers

What will evaluation look like?

  • We evaluate all areas of development in early intervention (physical, social emotional, self help skills, cognition, communication) and at least two professionals will evaluate your child.  You, the parent/caregiver, are a key part of the evaluation process since you know your child best!  There will be many questions for you and the evaluators will observe your child in order to determine eligibility for program.

When will my child talk?

  • We don't know, because every child is different. We do know that there are strategies we can use to build speech and language skills. The members of the early intervention team will all work hard to help your family implement these strategies in your home to encourage your child to speak!

  • What if I don’t agree with the results of the evaluation?

  • We are all about communication so please talk with your FRC and request a meeting if you don’t agree with the results.  We want to ensure that children receive needed services.

How do I get my child tested for Autism?

  • Please contact your child’s primary doctor for a referral. 

​                                              Services

Do services have to happen in the home?

  • No, but it’s best if services happen in the child’s natural environment. 

Is there financial help for things (therapies/orthotics) insurance doesn’t cover?    

  • Yes.  Your FRC will assist you with any needs not covered by insurance.  We do our best to keep early intervention low cost.

If my child qualifies for the Early Intervention Program, what are the "services" that SSP2P can provide?

  • Once your child qualifies for our program, we will guide you through the process of creating an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP).  This plan will include your goals for your child for the coming year and how we can support your family in reaching those goals.  We provide home visits with a coaching model; we believe you are your child's most important teacher and that the most significant intervention happens when you and your child spend time together between home visits.  We are here to listen and walk beside you, offering guidance about child development and strategies to maximize learning through daily routines.  We provide service coordination when a specific therapy is recommended, such as occupational or speech therapy.  We also offer parent support groups, sibling groups, parent toddler play groups, one-on-one parent matches and family activities throughout the year.)

Are there any toddler groups near me?

  • We have Toddler Groups in Olympia, Shelton and Aberdeen.  Please talk to your FRC about groups near you or whether one needs to be started.

How do I approach the therapist working with my child if I am not happy?

  • It’s all about relationships and communication.  Please talk openly with your therapist if you’re unhappy with services.  If you’re not comfortable with that, talk to your FRC and he/she can arrange a meeting. 

                        Transition (Turning Three)

What happens when my child turns three?

  • As children approach three years old, a Transition Conference is arranged by your FRC to meet with the school district. During the is conference, you’ll receive information on the steps toward evaluation to determine if your child qualifies for preschool or other service.

What happens when my child turns three and they do not qualify for Part B (school district) services?" 

  • If your child does not qualify for early intervention, your FRC will help you find other community resources and/or arrange to stay in touch with you in case you have concerns later. Community options might include: Head Start/ ECEAP programs, Library Story Times, Private Preschool programs, Childcare, Kaleidoscope Play & Learn, YMCA programs.

What are my options for programs for a child who turns 3 mid school year?

  • If your child qualifies for school services, they will enter the new services at age three. If not eligible, your FRC can connect you with Community Playgroups and then provide information with the most suitable option for the upcoming school year and how to contact different programs.

Does SSP2P help after age of three? 

  • YES!  Our Helping Parent program is available to you forever and includes: one on one Helping Parent matches, social and recreation gatherings, educational workshops and more.  Your contact person will be our Helping Parent Coordinator, Sylvia Davenport at  Be sure you’re on our mailing list!

                                     Over Three

What if my child is over three and I have concerns about delays and want to find out more about Developmental Preschool?

  • Please contact with Special Services Department at your home school district office.